Each year at around this time, I set some project goals that I would like to accomplish for that year. I also review the goals I made for the previous year to see how many of them got accomplished. So today, that is the focus! Looking back at my goals for 2014 was interesting for me. Last year I made 12 goals that I would like to accomplish. Out of those goals, I completed half of them. Some of the ones I did not accomplish will carry over to this next year. One in particular I am glad that I did not complete, because now I have changed my mind and don’t want to do what I planned, and several things that I accomplished were not even on my list last year at all! I guess that is just life, isn’t it? If you would like to take a look at what I have accomplished over the past year, you can read the 2014 round up posts I wrote here and here.
Let’s start by going over my 12 goals of 2014, shall we?
1. Install barn beam mantle. Well, I am happy to say that I can check that one off the list, and do one even better! I also installed a DIY fireplace surround, which wasn’t even on my list, so win! See mantle installation here. See Fireplace surround here.
2. Hang shelving over desk. Another one that I completed! And I have to say, I don’t know what I ever did without them! Seriously! Read about my shelving here.
3. Stencil the green wall in dining room/office. This is not complete! And this is the one I mentioned above that I do not plan on completing! I have decided in the past few months that I am so over this color green, which you can see in the picture above. It is a shame, because it was only painted less than 2 years ago, but I am itching to lighten up this room. Will it make it onto my list of goals for 2014? Well, you’ll have to keep reading to find out!
4. Install a light over sink in Miss 18 Year Old’s bathroom. Sadly, this is still unfinished. But I did purchase the light already, so that counts for something right? This will be accomplished in 2015. I did get other things accomplished in her bathroom that never made the list though, like a sink and vanity makeover. And new DIY shelving. And this leads to the next goal.
5. Install new flooring in Miss 18 Year Old’s bathroom. This is a goal that I am so happy to have completed! It really improved that space, and I love the way they turned out. You can read the full post about the flooring here.
6. Paint the stair risers and baseboards in stairwell. This is complete as well. It was not a drastic transformation, but it is much more clean and fresh in our stairwell now. Read the full post here.
7. Stain Door thresholds in downstairs hallway, and paint door leading to garage black. I was successful at one of the two. I did not get the thresholds stained, although I did install the third one, which was not done when I wrote this goal. I also did complete the painting of the door. Hopefully I will get the staining done in 2015. It is just one of those things that I stop noticing and forget about, terrible? Read about the new black door here.
8. Paint walls and ceiling in living room. Wow! I can’t believe that we still have not done this! But we kind of got distracted with the fireplace, so at least we accomplished something. I decided not to paint until the Airstone was installed because I want to make sure the paint I choose goes with it. So at least I have an excuse. This is one of the top things on our list to do this year though. We also got a new rug in this room. So I am happy with where it is headed.
9. Hang new curtains and blinds in the living room. This is halfway accomplished. I did hang new curtains in the room, but no blinds. I am actually not sure I ever will hang blinds because we are doing just fine without them, but I do plan to change the curtain rods this year. You can read about the new curtains here.
11. Paint the handrails going down the stairs on the front stoop of our house. This was completed, and let me tell you, it made our house look so much better! So glad we did this one! Read about the painted hand rails here.
12. Phase one- update boys’ bathroom. I did not accomplish nearly as much as I had planned in this bathroom, but instead I focused on our master bathroom. I did renew the grout in the boy’s bathroom, and I also painted the baseboards. So that’s something I guess. Read about the new grout here.
1. Paint walls and ceiling in Living Room. This is the top of my priority list to get done this year. I am hoping to have it done by spring.
2. Hang light over sink in my daughter's bathroom. As I mentioned above, I have the light, we just need to get it hung. There is currently no light there at all, so this will require some outside help. Which is why it is not done yet. Once this is complete, her bathroom will be finished!
3. Replace lighting over the sink in master bathroom. I have already purchased this light as well. We will be having a relative who is an electrician come and help us with several electrical things some time this year. This will be one of them.
4. Refinish vanity and sink in boy's bathroom. I have not decided yet exactly how I am going to update the sink and vanity. But I am sure that when I do, you will be the first to find out!
5. Refinish kitchen island. I painted my kitchen cabinets a while back, and at the time I was too burned out to start work on the island. So I put it off. But I think 2015 is the year to get it done!
6. DIY a desk area in the downstairs family room. LC needs a place to work since he is starting a new job as a pharmaceutical representative. He will do a lot of his work from home, and the dining room office is not going to work for him. So we have a plan to make him a space just for him in the family room. I think it will work out quite nicely!
7. Clean out and organize garage and storage closet. We moved into this house in quite a rush, and we just put stuff places with no real organization plan at all. So we want to completely empty out and purge both of these spaces and come up with a plan so that everything has a spot.
8. Repaint checkerboard pattern on back deck. This summer will make two years since I painted the deck, and by then it will be in need of a freshen. We will power wash it and then I will make it look like new again.
9. Paint boy's bathroom and do some kind of wood trim work to the walls. I have not decided for sure what we will do, but I got a miter saw for Christmas, and I will like to add some character to this bathroom. In addition to being the boy's bathroom, it is also the bathroom our guests use, so I want it to be special.
10. Add old fence wood to small back wall in upstairs hallway. I have the wood, and now that I have a miter saw, I think I can knock this one out. I think it will add some character and interest to the hallway.
11. Make over chandelier in dining room and move it so it is centered over the table. I think I might make this chandelier gold. We'll see how it turns out!
12. Replace outdoor lights on front of the house. Again, we have the lights already, but we are waiting for the weather to break. I am very excited about this one because it is going to make the house look so much better! The current light have probably been there since 1996, an they are very old and faded looking.
And those are my 12 goals for 2015! I would love to know what you think of them. These are all things that I hope to get done in the next year. But if the year goes anything like last year, I am sure there will be some surprises, and some changes. I don't take these things too seriously, and I don't beat myself up over them. I use them as a guide to help me get jump started.
I hope you will stick around for 2015 with me. Even know it is not a project goal, one of my biggest goals is to grow this blog. And I can only do that if you keep coming back, and if more people come to Sweet Parrish Place and stick around too! Another personal goal of mine is to attend a blogging conference in 2015. I really want to, and I feel that I need to in order to keep growing as a blogger. So I am already saving money to make a trip this year. Wish me luck!
Do you have any goals for 2015 that you want to share? Please do so in the comments! I absolutely love comments, and I read and respond to them all. What would you like to see at Sweet Parrish Place in the next year. If you have any ideas or suggestion for me, please tell me in the comments, or you can send me a private email message. You can find my email address under the about me tab.
Have a great weekend!
This is where I party:
Weekend Retreat Link Party// Remodelaholic// Freedom Fridays// Craft Frenzy Friday
Frugal Friday// Pretty Pintastic Party
Found and Foraged
DIY Sunday Showcase//
Much Ado About Monday// Amaze Me Monday// Clever chicks// Motivational Monday